Thursday, October 4, 2012

Flat tire

Planned on a dirt ride with Hosebag last week, but within 1/2 mile of leaving the house, I managed to get a flat tire on the WR.  Luckily, I have two bikes so it was just a matter of going home and swapping bikes for the day. When I got home that afternoon, though, I pulled the tire and installed a new tube.

I hate changing tires, but I've done it enough times that I can get the job done in about 30 minutes.

Here's the culprit... a 1 1/2" nail. 
Funny how I rode a thousand miles of mountain passes in Colorado on
this tire, with about 15psi, over a million sharp, jagged rocks without any
flats, but I ride over one stupid, small nail on the street 2 blocks from my house...

I don't like riding on patched tubes, so I just put the punctured 4.5-5.10x18
MSR Ultra Heavy Duty tube in the basement to be kept as a spare. I went 
ahead and installed a new 100/100x18 Kenda Tuff Tube. It was much easier to fit
inside the tire.  For reference, the tire is a 120/90x18 Dunlop D606 street legal knobby. 
It currently has about 1,500 miles on it (over 1/2 of those was offroad riding in Colorado). 

A couple of photos of the ride we did while the WR 
stayed at home with the flat tire.

T'was a great day for a ride.


my faithful DR is always ready to ride, and never lets me down.
Powerful, comfortable, reliable, and versatile. But porky on single track trails.