Saturday, January 1, 2011

RMZ front end swap

Happy New Year !

Back home after a few days visiting family & friends in Toronto. Before leaving, I parked the bike in the expensive storage unit I rented. On this unseasonably mild and rainy New Year's Day, I figured it might be a good time to get started on the fork swap.

The plan is to swap the whole front end including forks, triple clamps, and the entire front wheel assembly. Today, my only goal was the get the old front end off.

the storage unit is 10' x 13', I'm using 1/2 of it for storage, and the other 1/2 for working on the DR. This makes the work area about 5' x 13' which is plenty of space to get the job done.




OK, let's get this started.

wheel and forks removed


forks, wheel, handle bars, headlight plastic

Handle bars and controls removed

Next: triple clamps, steering stem and headlight


My helper, Angus -- our 6 month old flat coat retriever.


There... entire front end removed in about an hour.

Anyone wanna buy a stock DR650 front end?



The RMZ triples bolt on like butter.


It doesn't get much easier than this.