Thursday, March 4, 2010

It's alive !!!

Winter bites...it's been a little over 2 months now since I last rode the bike. While we got off with a relatively painless and short winter this year, I'm quite eager to get back on the road.

A leaky base gasket was the main reason for the tear down. I took my time over the last 8 weeks or so, disassembling, checking everything for wear, etc. In the end, it went back together with just a really good cleaning, new gaskets and new piston rings.

It's basically back together now, with just a few final things left to bolt on. I'm always nervous about having mounted the timing chain off by one tooth on the cam gear, and plus I really just wanted to know the engine was actually going to start. I'm very eager to try out this new Mikuni TM-40 pumper carburetor, too.

I would have had it running a couple hours sooner, but I lost a tiny rubber o-ring for one of the oil cooler line and had to run all over town to locate one. Finally found a petroleum-resistant o-ring of the correct size local auto store.

Sure felt great to hear it fire up almost instantly. Have a listen:




Because she fired up right away, I'm now very eager to finish it up and go for a spin. The weather forecast is looking good for the next few days...I might have to call in sick Friday and go riding.

odo: 13,250