Thursday, October 23, 2014

Fuel consumption

For the last few weeks, I've been keeping track of my fuel consumption, just for curiosity's sake. Very pleased to report that he 2014 KTM 690 gets terrific fuel economy.

An afternoon of spirited riding on rural paved roads (mostly 5th & 6th gear) with a few occasional Kilometres of two-track forest roads yields very impressive results.

235 kms (146 miles)
8.8 Litres (2.35 US gallons)

= 3.74 L/100 Kms (62.89 mpg)


Now let's compare with fuel consumption in the city. I live in downtown Berlin, and I like to accelerate hard and frequently loft the front tire with a good whack of the throttle. I routinely see results like this:

195 Kms (121 miles)
8.6 Litres (2.27 US gallons)

=  4.4 Litres/100Kms (53.46 mpg)

Those are pretty respectable numbers in my opinion, especially considering I often use a very heavy throttle hand.

The engine is bone stock, and the only modification that has been done which could possibly impact performance and/or fuel consumption is a Wings slip-on muffler. Everything else is original: stock airbox, stock air filter, stock ECU mapping.