Friday, September 10, 2010

Calabogie Boogie - happening this weekend




Hoping to leave work a little early tomorrow and hit the road to make my way to the Calabogie Boogie. This year is the 20th anniversary of the popular event, put on by the Bytown Motorcycle Association (BMA) and the Ontario Federation of Trail Riders (OFTR). I've heard of it but have never attended, so I'm really looking forward to it. The ride includes 2 full days of trails with many options for routes (requiring various levels of riding skills). I've heard that most trails are easily do-able on a heavy dual sport bike, but some are better for nimbler light weight enduro bikes.

My friend Dave (rides a KLX400) has arranged to rent a trailer/camper at Ferguson Lake, just a few minutes away from the starting line. He's brining a couple of friends from New Hampshire. I'll be brining my tent just in case, because we really don't have much info about this camper. We'll arrive tomorrow after work and pre-register and get our bikes through the sound test. This will save us time on Saturday morning. I also know about 1/2 dozen other riders who are registered, so it will be nice to ride this event with some familiar faces.

The weather forecast was looking pretty crappy for the weekend, but things have turned around a bit. The last few days have been pretty cool and wet, so regardless of whether it turns out to be sunny and warm, I expect conditions in the trails will be pretty muddy -- we've had lots of rain this week.

I think the bike is pretty much ready to go: mounted my new Michelin T63 on the front yesterday, even though there is still plenty of tread left on the TCK-80 (I'll throw it in the basement and run it again next summer). I had hoped to change the oil but I've run out of time. Fresh oil would have been nice, but it's only been 1,500 Kms, so I don't feel too bad.


Newly mounted Michelin T63