Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Look, Ma... new boots !



Gaerne GX-1


Off-road riding with sport bike boots is just asking for trouble. So I'll put away my old Alpinestars SM-X boots for this new pair of Gaerne GX-1 motocross boots. These are Gaerne's "entry level" MX boot, but compared to all the other entry level boots I looked at, these are way out in front.

I wanted a well-made boot, not some cheap crappy plasticky imitation leather boot glued together in a Chinese sweatshop. I expected to pay in the $200-$400 range for a decent pair of boots. After doing lots of research and shopping around at various online stores, I finally decided these Gaerne's were for me. 

Gaerne is a top quality Italian brand, and the GX-1 is a great bargain with an MSRP of $200 USD. The problem is trying to find them locally, or for that matter, anywhere in Canada -- I couldn't. So I did a little shopping around online and I found a retailer on eBay selling them for $159 +$13 shipping.  Wow. These are everything I was looking for in a good boot, and they're dirt cheap at that price. A great boot for a great price.