Thursday, April 1, 2010

Relocating VisionX LED auxiliary lights

Ever since I bought these awesome LED auxilary lights last year I've been trying to find the best way to mount them. I want them to be in the best position to provide maximum lighting, plus I want them to be out of the way and I want the mount to be solid.

My fist attempt was to drill out the holes for the OEM reflectors on the steel brackets that are attached to the lower triple clamp. That was OK, but not quite perfect. Then I decided to buy some special brackets from ProCycle that mount to the same location as the reflector brackets. Those were better, but still not ideal. The main problem with mounting them to the lower triple clamp is that the front fender blocks some of the light. Somewhere in there, I also tried mounting them to the front turn signal brackets: that wasn't bad, but then I didn't have a good place for my front turn signals...a catch-22 indeed.

After taking a good look at the front of the bike to examine all my possible options, it finally came to me. The aluminum hand guards are solid, they're up nice and high, and there is nothing obstructing the view (or the light that would be projected from there). So I drilled a hole in each one to mount the brackets. Problem solved. Now these awesome lights are nice and high, out of the way, aimed a little downward to light up the area directly in front of the bike without offending oncoming traffic, and the mount is very solid.


Not bad, but there's room for improvement.


More solid -- but where to put the turn signals?


OK, this is almost perfect...but the front
fender blocks a little bit of the light.




I think I finally figured this out.