Friday, November 27, 2009

I can't believe it's not winter

November is nearly gone and the weather has been rather mild of late. While it's been a little wet at least the temperature has been above freezing. I hope this continues for a few more weeks but I'm nervous that real winter weather is just around the corner. The oil leak from the base gasket continues to leave a drop or two on the ashpalt in my parking space but it's not leaking much at all. In the last 3,000 Km I have not added any oil to the crankcase so the amount of oil loss is minimal. The oil level doesn't seem to have gone down at all. When the weather turns cold I will park it in the temporary shelter I bought (a big winter tent) and pull the engine. With the engine in the warmth of the basement, I'll tear it apart and replace the faulty gasket. This will also be the time to check that pesky neutral sensor unit that other DR owners warn about. The possible carnage the loose neutral sensor screws can cause is always at the back of my mind and I won't rest until I've securely re-set the screws with locktite. And while the engine is out I may take advantage of the opportunity to do a few upgrades -- I'm thinking about a high compression piston and a high performance cam. I'll have to come up with justification for all that cash though... and I've still got my heart set of a pumper carburetor which is going to set me back at least $500. Oh God, where will it end?